Top Ten Indoor Things to do in Winter or on a Rainy Day in Louisville with Kids
Follow us on Facebook!
You have found us because cold weather is coming or it’s a rainy, dreary day. Not any more! There are nice family fun options in the great indoors. Check out one of these great family-friendly activities the next time there’s a chill in the air!
10. Kazoing! Open Play – Although I wish they had more open play hours, Kazoing! Is a great place to let your kids burn off their excess energy when the weather is chilly. They have inflatables and a play room, as well as craft projects. They have a variety of open play times. The cost is $6 per walking child, and an adult must be present. They also have Mother’s Day Out and special events. They are located at 3600 Chamberlain Lane, Suite 218. See the KaZoing! Party and Play website for details.
9. Champ’s Rollerdrome – Roller skating is a great way to burn some extra calories with your kids. When JCPS is in session they are open Friday from 7-11 pm ($8.50 per skater), Saturday 2-6 pm ($6.50 per skater) and 7-11 ($8.50 per skater), and Sunday 2-6 ($6.50 per skater). Skate rentals are $2.50. There will be special hours when JCPS is out. See their website for details. Champ’s is located at 9851 La Grange Road in Louisville. See our review.
8. Mary T. Meagher Aquatic Center – Sometimes you just need to go swimming, and the Metro Parks system has this great indoor pool for just such an occasion. Admission is $3 for kids 12 and under and $5.50 for 13 and over. Recreational swim hours are Monday-Thursday noon-4 and 6:30-8 pm, Friday noon-8, and Saturday noon-5. It is located at 201 Reservoir Avenue. Click here for more info.
7. Jump start your day at House of Boom. They have a kids jump from 9-10am every day and parents jump free – this if for little ones ages 6 and under. They also have family night on Monday nights and your entire immediate family can jump for an hour for $35. Special needs night is on Thursday from 5-7pm is exclusively for families with children with special needs, it’s $5 per jumper. If you are jumping at some other time, there’s usually a coupon here.
6. Rocksport – No matter what age, all the is required to rock climb at Rocksport is a desire to reach the top. Day passes are $12 and harness rentals are $3, and memberships are available. The facility is open Monday-Friday 3-10 pm, Saturday 12-10 pm, and Sunday 12-8 pm. They are located at 10901 Plantside Drive Louisville KY 40299 Phone: 502-266-5833. See their website for more info.
5. Story Time at the Louisville Free Public Library – Story times vary by day, location, and age group. Click here for a current calendar. There is a kid-friendly event going on every day at the Louisville Free Public Library!
4. Gheens Science Hall and Rauch Planetarium – Check out a Planetarium show or attend a special event. See their website for a current schedule. Admission is $8 for 13 and over and $6 for kids 12 and under. The Planetarium is located on UofL’s Belknap Campus.
3. All About Kids Funzone and Open Gym – This is a really neat facility that has everything from inflatables to gymnastics to a pool (also in Oldham County!). See their website for more details as schedules/prices subject may change. They also have indoor swimming!
2. Bowling! There are so many fun options for bowling around town. Here are a few:
• Ten Pin Lanes 200 Ten Pin Lane
• King Pin 9525 Taylorsville Rd
• Executive Strike and Spare 911 Phillips Lane
• Fern Valley Strike and Spare 6220 Shepherdsville Rd
• Hoosier Strike and Spare 2310 State Street, New Albany
• Ken Bowl/Dixie Bowl 10526 Dixie Highway & 7021 Southside Drive
Most of these businesses are open from 10 am until 10 pm or later daily. Bowling costs anywhere from $2-5 per player per game and shoe rentals are usually $2-5 per bowler. See websites for specific info. Each alley has league nights, so it is best to call ahead for lane availability. All of these alleys offer bumper bowling.
1. The Kentucky Science Center! – This is one of my kids’ favorite ways to kill an afternoon when the weather is frightful. The new Science In Play exhibit is always exciting. And, they have a new 4-Story theatre! The Louisville Science Center is located at 727 West Main Street. Admission is free for members, and membership can be combined with your Louisville Zoo membership. Adult admission is $13 and kids 2-12 are $11.
Need more ideas? Click here to see Kentucky Family Fun’s Top 10 for indoor fun in Louisville!
By guest contributor: Maggie
updated 2016, prices and hours subject to change by the business!