10 FREE activities to do over winter break
Winter break can be long and you might need some boredom busters. There’s enough spending going on, don’t you think? I needed some FREE options for my family so I compiled a list of 10 things that can get you through the winter break with lots of fun and keep your wallet safe from further damage!
Check out our calendar for special events – be sure to call ahead as a lot of places change hours over the holidays!
1) Do something educational – you can guide your family on a walking tour of the state capital building in Frankfort. You can even download a guide so you can fake like you actually know what you are talking about! See here. Read about our day trip ideas here.
2) Head to the Parklands (bundled up) and go to the PNC Achievement Center for Education & Interpretation. Learn about what you might see and find on a hike and the jet off on a brisk hike nearby and warm up by getting moving! Check their hours on the website linked.
3) Visit Charlestown, IN for their holiday festivities. The lights are wonderful and they have a free animated light show.
4) Check out the Jefferson Memorial Forest FREE open house on Thursday, December 21 from 12-3pm. Holiday Open House at Jefferson Memorial Forest. Scavenger hunt, cookies, ornament craft and hot chocolate!
5) Go see the lights at the Toyland Christmas lights display – they’ll have them on until December 25.
6) Kick of the new year with being active. Go to the First Day Hike at the Falls of the Ohio State Park. Details here.
7) Head to the Southwest Library for the free train exhibit that’s on display from 12/23-12/31. Info here. Love the library? Here’s another free event: December 28th, 2-3pm: Holiday Science for Kids at the Southwest Library Branch.
8) FREE Playdates for kiddos 0-4 at the Kentucky Science Center December 21 from 5-7pm. Details here
10) Have little ones? Oxmoor Center has an indoor padded play area, always fun after roaming around the Disney store and going into the Apple store to touch all of the iPads 🙂
Have a fabuLOUs winter break,