Momventures: Weekend Getaway with Friends
Moms deserve to have fun, too. Sometimes it can be difficult to pencil in between our jobs, our homes, and taking the children 1000 different places every month. Heck, sometimes even going to the grocery store by yourself can seem like a vacation. As our kids get older they don’t need us to be there 100% of the time – and it’s ok to take a break and refresh. Sometimes those breaks are in the form of a moms’ night out, but sometimes we get really lucky and have a whole weekend off with our mom friends. So where do you go on a weekend getaway with your mom friends? I’m glad you asked.
- Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge – This has long been a popular girlfriends getaway destination because there is just so much to do. Check out Dollywood, visit a few wineries or distilleries, and hike in the Great Smoky Mountain National Forest. You can rent a cabin, stay at a resort with an indoor water park, or even give yourself the Dolly Parton treatment and stay at Dollywood’s Dream More Resort and Spa. There are dinner shows, museums, and more – truly something for everyone!
- Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky – In Northern Kentucky you can check out the B-Line, the new official Northern gateway to the Kentucky Bourbon Trail. In Cincinnati there’s The Cincinnati Museum Center, Jungle Jim’s International Market, The Cincinnati Art Museum, and the Over The Rhine business district full of one-of-a-kind restaurants and shops. There’s plenty to do no matter what your interests!
- Lexington – There’s something for everyone in Lexington, from horse farm tours to horse racing, from culinary adventures to bourbon distilleries and breweries. The 21C Museum Hotel is a great central place to stay right in the center of all the action, or you could go slightly outside of Lexington and stay at the Inn at Shaker Village if you want peace and quiet. Visit Keeneland when racing is in season or visit Ashland, the Henry Clay Estate for local history.
- Nashville – Drive straight to Opryland and spend the entire weekend there or wander around Music City checking out the bars, restaurants, and museums. From the Country Music Hall of Fame to the Johnny Cash Museum, there are legends upon legends to explore. Grab some hot chicken or check out a local hot spot – the food is a great as the music!
- Chicago – I’ve seen one way flights to Chicago as low as $25, and the last time I flew round trip it was under $200. So you can have an epic Chicago Momventure weekend getaway easily for under $500 a person. There are museums, pizza that’s thicker than a phone book (do they still make those?), and a big shiny bean (which is actually a cloud) with a cult following.
- French Lick, Indiana – The resort at French Lick is epic. Established in 1845, this is a Four Diamond resort that is on the National Register of Historic Places. If you want to eat at great restaurants, lounge around the pool, and enjoy the spa, this is the destination for you. There are also charging stations for your electric vehicle in the parking garage! Check out nearby Spirits of French Lick for wine and spirits tours and tastings.
- Red River Gorge Area – So maybe a spa isn’t your speed. That’s ok! Head to Kentucky’s beautiful Red River Gorge geological area and stay in a tree house, and not the kind you had as a kid. These tree houses are fully equipped for a true glamping experience. Relax on your tree house’s front porch, enjoy a hike, or take the chair lift at Natural Bridge State Park up to the top to enjoy the views.
Have a great trip!
By Guest Contributor: Maggie
For more Momventures, check out our Mom’s Night Out suggestions!