Top Ten Places for Family Farm Fun around Louisville
Are you looking for family fun at a local farm? There are many options for exploring farms this fall so you can enjoy the beautiful scenes of the bluegrass, learn about these farms, and take home some goodies!
10. Mulberry Orchard Shelby County has a family fun playground area that’s just $10 per family. The kids will roll, run, jump, and have a great time while you enjoy great food from their kitchen. They also have a corn maze, a mini maze for little ones, hay rides, pumpkins and wonderful cider.
9. Horseback Riding is a great confidence booster for kids. Learning how to control such a large animal helps build self-esteem and athleticism. There are far too many options to list here, but I will mention Windy Meadows in La Grange, which offers tours, riding lessons, and has a children’s book featuring the farm’s horses as characters.
7. Bray’s Orchard is a longer drive, but you can’t get better strawberries anywhere during strawberry season. They also offer a variety of produce in their roadside market, hayrides to their pumpkin patch in the fall, and seasonal homemade ice cream in the ice cream parlor. My favorite ice cream to get at Bray’s is dandelion ice cream, because where else can you get dandelion ice cream?
6. Farmer’s Markets are a great place to take your kids, because in addition to buying tasty produce you can also teach your kids where food comes from by introducing them to the farmers who actually make it. The St. Matthews Farmer’s Market is one of my favorites because there is everything from live music to concessions in addition to the farm fresh food. Click here to find a farmer’s market near you.
5. Thomas Dairy Farm and Market is a family farm in Cecilia, Kentucky. It’s an easy drive down I-65 and will fill your day with fall farm fun well into the evening. They offer pumpkin picking and have an amazing corn maze but they also have a farm play area with a big slide, corn pit, jumping pillow, and more. In the evening, they’ll light some campfires and also take you on an evening hayride to get zombies hiding in the cornfield with paintball guns!
4. Foxhollow Farm is a great farm destination for anything from a farm-to-table dining experience to a gardening workshop. They also have hiking trails and a playground, you can take a picnic! They have a great fall festival and fall fun. Click here for more info.
3. Huber’s Farm & Winery in Starlight, IN is a year-round family fun destination. They serve wonderful meals, and there is a farm store, soda shop, ice cream shop, and play areas for the kids. There is also a winery that offers wine tastings, pick-your-own seasonal produce, and hayrides to the pumpkin patch in the fall. Click here see our review of Huber’s Winery.
2. Horse shows are plentiful in Kentucky, and there are several different varieties of horse shows from three day hunter-jumper events to the Rodeo. There are always great horse shows going on at Kentucky Horse Park (see our review here ). If you don’t want to travel quite so far, check out one of the local horse shows, such as the Rock Creek Horse Show.
1. Gallrein Farms in Shelbyville, Ky is a great local farm destination, with everything
from a bakery to a petting zoo in addition to homegrown fruits, vegetables, and flowers. There are also horse drawn wagon rides to the pumpkin patch, a corn maze, and a John Deere Barrel train in the fall. Click here for our review.