10 FREE activities to do over winter break
Free winter break fun in Louisville. Here are free events and things to do over winter break.
Winter break can be long and you might need some boredom busters. There’s enough spending going on, don’t you think? I needed some FREE winter break options for my family so I compiled a list that I hope you find helpful.
Check out our calendar for special events – be sure to call ahead as a lot of places change hours over the holidays!
1) Do something educational – you can guide your family on a walking tour of the state capital building in Frankfort. You can even download a guide so you can fake like you actually know what you are talking about! See here. Read about our day trip ideas here.
2) Head to the Parklands (bundled up) and go to the PNC Achievement Center for Education & Interpretation. Learn about what you might see and find on a hike and the jet off on a brisk hike nearby and warm up by getting moving! Check their hours on the website linked.
3) Visit Charlestown, IN for their holiday festivities. The lights are wonderful and they have a free animated light show.
4) Check out the Jefferson Memorial Forest FREE winter hike on December 29 from 9-11am. It’s a wonderful place to explore with your family and having a naturalist there to guide you is even better.
5) Go see the lights at the Toyland Christmas lights display – they’ll have them on until December 25.
6) Kick of the new year with being active. Go to the First Day Hike at the Falls of the Ohio State Park. Details here.
7) Head to the Southwest Library for the free train exhibit that’s on display from 12/22/18-1/6/19. Info here. We love the library! It’s on display all day during normal library hours.
8) Not quite falling during winter break but this is too good not to mention. FREE Playdates for kiddos 0-4 at the Kentucky Science Center December 22 from 5-7pm. Details here
9) If it snows – head to Cherokee Park – they have approved sledding hills and they are super fast!! Want more sledding ideas? Click here. No snow? Head to the Speed Art Museum on Sundays during winter break for indoor fun. It’s free on Sundays and the downstairs family area is really wonderful.
10) Have little ones? It’s always fun roaming around the Disney store and going into the Apple store to touch all of the iPads …. now you can explore the new LEGO store 🙂 Sadie Makes 4 on Frankfort Ave is also a great place to take little ones – they have a playroom in the back!
Have a fabuLOUs winter break,