5 Kentucky Derby Festival events not to miss
The best Kentucky Derby Festival events for families
KDF is such an amazing opportunities to get out together and enjoy our city. Sometimes, it can seem like such an undertaking to figure out which events are the best for kids and families. Here are some suggestions of events we know and love!
April 17 starting made-for-television event as the air show and fireworks. All day coverage on WHAS-TV.
- The air show will be held for two hours on Thunder day with a Category 3 air box allowing for fly-bys, as well as some aerobatics.
- New Kentucky Derby Festival events 2021- a drone show leading up to the fireworks, with over 50 drones in different formations.
- FIREWORKS at 9:30 p.m. watch on WHAS-TV, but they will be spread out around the community in five different locations north, south, east, and west of the city, along with a location in Southern Indiana (Undisclosed). Watch on TV and perhaps hear and see them close by!
- There have been recent updates to Thunder Over Louisville – click here to see what’s new – they have lessened the number of locations for fireworks to reduce potential gatherings.
2. Kroger’s Fest-a-Ville – NOT IN 2021
Old info…..Entry is free with a Pegasus Pin. This is a family friendly area with tickets rides, food, and drinks. There are a variety of free concerts- many of the acts are family friendly. Dance the night away while enjoying the waterfront.
BONUS for Kentucky Derby Festival events 2021! Instead, go to Churchill Downs and watch the horses workout in the morning. It’s free. A lot of families typically do this Derby week for Dawn at the Downs, they still have this. But, they also have the track open for visitors daily now and you can bring in breakfast some days. Click here for info.
3. Caesar’s Foundation FamFest – June 24, 2021. This new-ish event is taking place in New Albany as a special preview of the festival. Details to come. It’s great they are able to do this as part of the Kentucky Derby Festival events 2021.
4. Republic Bank Pegasus® Parade– YES for 2021! April 10 and 11, around the city for Kentucky Derby Festival events 2021! 20 units, including some colorful inflatables, mascots, and Festival VIPS, like the 2021 Royal Court traveling over 60 miles and through more than 35 neighborhoods around Louisville over the two days.
A complete list of the streets and areas along the touring parade route will be posted online each day at KDF.org/parade.
Residents are encouraged to decorate your porches, yards, cars and homes in honor of this year’s Derby Festival. Post photos on social media using the hashtag #PegasusPorchParade or #DerbyFestivalSpirit.
DERBY PARADE ROUTE
Day 1: Saturday, April 10, 1-5 p.m. – South Louisville, Shively, Algonquin, Park Duvalle, Parkland, Chickasaw, Shawnee, Portland, Russell, Central Business District (Downtown), and across the Clark Memorial (2nd Street) Bridge into Jeffersonville, IN.
Day 2: Sunday, April 11, 1-5 p.m. – Saint Joseph, Merriweather, Schnitzelburg, Germantown, Tyler Park, Deer Park, Belknap, Hayfield Dundee, Bashford manor, West Buechel, Newburg, Buechel, Fern Creek, Jeffersontown, Douglass Hills, Middletown and Lyndon.