Tubing and Skiing around Louisville
Where to go skiing near Louisville, Paoli Peaks or Perfect North?
Hit the Slopes! Skiing and tubing are both a lot of fun in the winter and a great way to stay active!
Although there’s no skiing in Louisville, there is skiing near Louisville. And, for those who don’t ski, there’s tubing. Louisville families can head to these slopes for a day of active fun and wonderful memory-making.
When considering Paoli Peaks and Perfect North, they both offer a family-friendly environment that you will love. Included are some tips from a mom that understands that cost is always a question. Going to the slopes for the day is sure to make life-long memories for you and your kids.
One reader said about tubing near Louisville “Perfect North was a really fun place to have a great time with friends and family. Makes everyone feel like a kid again!”
Another readers say “We had an amazing time. The staff were super helpful in the facilities and on the slopes.”
We went to Perfect North on 12/29/20 and it was packed. We never made it in. There was a 1-2 hour wait just to get in and then a backlog of people trying to tube. It would not have been worth the money to wait that long. You can try looking at the cameras to see when it lightens up before heading out. But, given the almost 2 hour drive, the volume of people there can change at any time.
Paoli Peaks is opening 1/1/21. Reservations are required. They are actively making snow. They are really watching the pandemic situation closely to follow public health officials to determine the safety and guidelines for events. I am glad to see they are offering specific times for tubing so you are guaranteed a spot and they limit capacity instead of open ticketing when anyone can go any date, which causes capacity issues like we experienced at Perfect North.
So, what is the difference between these two places??
1. They both cost around the same for the day, weekdays are cheaper than weekends. It’s around $80.00 per person for a ski lift and rentals. This price includes lessons for your children, just be mindful of the time difference. We missed out on the lessons due to the time difference last year! (Perfect North operates on Eastern Time, Paoli Peaks on Central Time).
2. If you have family that cannot or will not ski, you can see your family coming down the slopes at Perfect North, they have a lodge located at the bottom of the hills (perfect for someone that wants to watch and not ski). At Paoli Peaks, the lodge is at the top of the hill, so you don’t have as much of a view as a spectator. For 2020, check with the places before you go because they may be regulating admission for pandemic safety.
3. Both Perfect North and Paoli Peaks have a comfortable ski lodge with a wood burning fireplace for your enjoyment, many folks sit by the fire and enjoy a good book while their family skis. Again, this may not be available for 2020 due to restrictions. Paoli Peaks has a “what you need to know” page for the 20/21 season.
4. Food is about the same at both facilities, I totally recommend you pack a lunch and some hot chocolate for your family to enjoy. The cafeterias are fine but very expensive! We say focus on just the tubing near Louisville.
5. Both Paoli Peaks and Perfect North offer free lessons to children that are with a paying adult!
6. Both Paoli Peaks and Perfect North office discount tickets for children 12 and under.
7. If you want to give snow boarding a try, Paoli Peaks and Perfect North have snow board rentals which are also included in the price of ski rentals for the day.
8. If you don’t want to ski, both facilities have SNOW TUBING NEAR LOUISVILLE! Everyone LOVES this and it’s so much great exercise. At Paoli Peaks, they offer a discount on the next day to stay over to snow tube and ski. Perfect North has tubing (opening date pending for 2020) seven days a week. Paoli Peaks typically has fewer days open during the week but their 20/21 days are still pending.
8. Both Paoli Peaks and Perfect North have affordable overnight options; check out some of these cabins that are really close to the slopes.
9. Both facilities have a gift shop for you to purchase snow bibs, jackets, snow goggles and more……just in case you forgot anything you may need for the day.
10. Tips: Remember to bring extra gloves. Falling meals wet gloves! You will need to replace them with dry ones throughout the day. Layer up for tubing near Louisville! Make sure you wear water-proof clothes and a snow hat. Bring a change of cloths for the end of the day to head back home.
If you are looking for more winter fun ideas besides tubing near Louisville, we have it! Click here.