Best Dog-Friendly places around Louisville
Dog-friendly locations all around Louisville!
Louisville is a pretty dog-friendly town. According to BringFidoAlong.com, we have 168 pet friendly restaurants that welcome dogs to their outdoor tables! There are welcoming chain restaurants like Panera Bread, Five Guys, and even Hard Rock Cafe, lots of coffee shops (my dog is partial to Starbucks and Heine Brothers’), and tons of ice cream shops ike Comfy Cow, Graeter’s Ice Cream, The Arctic Scoop, and Dairy Queen. You can find plenty of dog friendly eateries downtown, near U of L, Bardstown Rd, Frankfort Ave., and Shelbyville Rd. BringFidoAlong.com makes it super easy to spot them and even gives them dog-friendly reviews.
Louisville also has a lot of dog friendly parks to check out and explore with your pup! The following eight dog parks are founded and supported by The Louisville Dog Run Association (LDRA). Each requires a permit to enter. The cost of the 2018 Dog Park Permit is $35.00 for the first dog, $25.00 for the second dog, $15.00 for the third dog, and $10.00 per additional dog in the same household. All funds from the sale of the Dog Park Permits will go towards the dog parks’ maintenance and improvement costs.
1. Champions Dog Run at Champion Park: Located along the River Road Recreation Corridor. Separate All Dog and Small Dog sides, drinking water available, and plenty of space to run around and exercise.
2. Cochran Hill Dog Run at Cherokee Park: Located between I-64 and Lexington Road. Divided in half to allow one side for all dog use and one side for small dog use.
3. Elizabeth Cleland Cauley Dog Park at Wendell Moore Park: The first official off-leash dog park in Oldham County. The dog park is approximately 2 acres and is located south of the Oldham County Dispatch building across from the softball fields.
4. Old Louisville Dog Run at Toonerville Trolley Park: Two-acre park located in the heart of the Old Louisville Neighborhood at the intersection of Oak Street and Brook Street.
5. Sawyer Dog Park at E.P. Tom Sawyer State Park: An off-leash dog park in Louisville. The park spans across approximately six acres and is divided into three two-acre areas: one for small dogs (dogs under 30 pounds) and two for all dogs.
6. The Barklands of Floyds Fork: The first off-leash dog park within The Parklands of Floyds Fork. The area is divided into three areas: Small Dog, All Dog and a resting area, which will be rotated frequently.
7. Vettiner Dog Run at Charlie Vettiner Park: Approximately two acres and is divided in half to allow one side for all dog use and one side for small dog use. New gazebo in place.
8. Waverly Dog Run:The Waverly Dog Run is located at the end of Waverly Park Road. The run is approximately an acre and a half and is not divided so there is only one area for all dogs. The area is past the lake area and is in the woods.
Other dog park areas not affiliated with the LDRA:
Garvin Brown Preserve in Prospect beside Hays Kennedy Park
Highland Dog Park in Jeffersonville, IN
Norton Commons in northeast Louisville
Michael Kay’s Bark Park in Red Orchard Park in Shelbyville
Morton Street Free Dog Park in the Highlands
More great dog-friendly parks/trails to enjoy with your four-legged friend:
Brown Park in St. Matthews
Creasey Mahan Nature Preserve in Goshen (North Oldham Co.)
Iroquois Park in South Louisville
Jefferson Memorial Forest in South Louisville
Waterfront Park in Downtown Louisville
In addition to green spaces, there are also some animal friendly stores in the area. In addition to pet stores like Petsmart or Feeders Supply, leashed, friendly dogs are welcome in Bass Pro, Half Price Books, and Tractor Supply Company.
Other fun dog activities around town include:
Bark in the Park at Louisville Bats games at Louisville Slugger Field. Each year the event strives to raise money for our furry friends and the Kentucky Humane Society by allowing fans the opportunity to bring their dog(s) to the ballpark on specially selected game dates. For 2018, the dates are May 8, June 19, and August 21.
Dog shows at the Kentucky Exposition Center
Dog Swim annual event at Northeast YMCA Calypso Cove
Pet Station Country Club on Murphy Lane. It has a 12’x25′ beach style, zero entry pool just for dogs. They have pool parties and swim lessons!
Shakespeare in Central Park outdoor plays
Enjoy the warm weather with your dog!