Top 10 Locally Owned Stores in Louisville, KY: Updated 2014 Edition
Tis the season for Holiday gift giving. No matter your gift giving needs, remember that shopping locally owned stores keeps more money in our communities and it can also be a lot of fun! I put together a list last year of local places to shop for the Holidays and while all those places are still great, Louisville has a lot of unique places to shop all over town. Here’s a whole new list with a little something for everyone.
1. Art Eatables is known for their bourbon truffles, but they are more than that. They also make a wide variety of other candies, and they’re all nut free! Schimpf’s http://www.schimpffs.com/ in Jeffersonville is another great place to get locally made candies on the other side of the river.
2. Fresh Boutique 4 Girls is a new shop in Westport Village for tween girls that features designer clothes.
3. The Parent Teacher Store and Toys Too! is a great locally owned option for unique toys. They also have tons of arts and crafts options, which is great for my busy boys!
4. Hadley Pottery is a Louisville institution, featuring unique handmade pottery in a variety of themes. They even have Christmas ornaments!
5. The Prickly Pear Boutique in Middletown has tons of adorable, unique gifts.
6. Bourbon Barrel Foods puts a Kentucky spin on ordinary spices and sauces. They make bourbon barrel aged soy sauce, sugar, and spices as well as bourbon smoked items. Their products are available all over town as well as online.
7. Bricks And Minifigs Louisville is a great place to buy for the Lego enthusiast in your life. They have more Legos than I’ve ever seen in one place aside from Legoland, and you can buy and sell used sets as well, making it an economical choice.
8. Good Garbage is more than just a place to donate your recyclable materials. There’s also a retail shop with unique finds and artist consignments, or you could stock up on craft supplies for the crafter on your list.
9. Regalo is now up to four locations in the Louisville area- Barret Avenue, South Fourth, The Galt House, and Pearl Street in New Albany. They feature funky and unique t-shirts, jewelry, clocks, and other gifts.
10. The Diaper Fairy Cottage in the Highlands is way more than just cloth diapers. They stock all kinds of other baby needs as well for the expectant parents on your list.
By guest contributor: Maggie