HerLouisville’s Ten Great Holiday Gifts under $30!
Every year, no matter how much progress you think you’ve made with your holiday shopping list, there are always a few more items to buy. There’s always another gift for the kids’ teachers or your hairstylist, a gift exchange at work, or some other reason to have a small, nice gift ready to go.
It’s easy to load up on all-purpose last-minute gifts like gloves or umbrellas that nobody really wants. This year, small presents don’t have to be boring or impersonal. Here are 10 great holiday gifts that everyone on your last-minute list will actually enjoy!
1. Local coffee. We don’t always think of coffee as “Louisville thing”, but our city is home to some really amazing coffee. Travel + Leisure Magazine ranked the Derby City as one of America’s Top 10 cities for local coffee, and Sunergos coffee my absolute favorite local java, recently won the title of America’s Best Espresso. A bag of beans from Sunergos, Highland Coffee will be a welcome gift from your favorite coffee connoisseur.
2. Local Art. — There are some great gifts to be found in local galleries! Check out Craft(s) Gallery in the SouthFourth neighborhood, Revelry Gallery in NuLu or Kaviar Forge on Frankfort Avenue for unique, local, and artsy selections.
3. A car wash. It’s going to be a long winter, y’all. A car wash is more than a luxury; it protects paint from corrosive road salt. A gift certificate for a car wash is a great gift for nearly everyone on your list!
4. A great t-shirt. There are so many ways to wear your local pride these days! Bourbon Built and Kentucky for Kentucky offer hip and hilarious t-shirts that embrace our local culture. My own site, HerKentucky.com sells an exclusive “Shot of Bourbon” tee for the bourbon lover on your list, and The Prickly Pear serves up a dose of Kentucky pride with Kentucky “Home” shirts.
5. A gift card for their favorite food or drink. Louisville enjoys a well-deserved reputation as a foodie town, with every imaginable cuisine represented by at least one locally-owned restaurant. Stock up on a couple of gift cards to these local restaurants; they certainly won’t go to waste!
6. One of Kentucky’s local spirits. The Commonwealth is known for its amazing bourbon, but there are some great local beers, wines, and moonshines as well. A bottle of locally-produced alcohol is always a welcome holiday present!
7. Unique Sweets. Don’t bake when someone can do it for you! A pie from Homemade Ice Cream & Pie Kitchen, a box of Pappy van Winkle bourbon balls, or a sampler from Cellar Door Chocolates will indulge every sweet tooth!
8. Admission to a museum or tour. From a tasting tour (the Evan Williams Bourbon Experience to a visit to the Frazier History Museum or a lane rental to a local gun range, a pre-paid day of fun is an unexpected and welcome gift!
9. A manicure. Any woman on your list will appreciate the chance for an afternoon of pampering!
10. A high-end spin on a traditional gift. I was recently at the Prickly Pear Boutique when I saw an adorable little girl picking out a Kate Spade travel coffee mug for her Kindergarten teacher. When I was growing up as a teacher’s kid, I never saw a student buy a coffee mug that nice for my mom; that’s one lucky teacher!
Happy shopping, and remember that when you keep your business local, your gift recipients and your city will thank you!
Learn about Heather and see a growing compilation of HerLouisville features on our new page dedicated to the topic. We’ll focus on entertaining, style and dining with moms in mind!