The HerLouisville Guide to Adding Sparkle to Your Holiday Style
Happy Holidays, y’all!
From now through the New Year, there’s always an excuse to celebrate with your friends, colleagues, and loved ones. This year, you don’t have to sacrifice comfort or spend a lot of money to look great.
1. Create a great silhouette. The key to looking great at any event — from a relaxed kids’ party to a cocktail party — is an outfit that looks good and flatters your body. Create a great silhouette with a figure-flattering skirt or slacks. A stylish maxi skirt makes it easy to chase your toddlers in style. Pants with a little stretch, like heavy leggings or skinny corduroys, are more flattering than jeans, as comfortable as sweats, and instantly dress up an outfit. Classic colors like black, navy, grey, or chocolate brown are slimming and chic, while winter white packs a lot of holiday style.
2. A Little Glam Goes a Long Way! Focus on one eye-catching element like a perfectly applied red lip, a special hairstyle or a sweater with a jeweled detail and leave the rest of your outfit relatively neutral. You’ll stand out in a classic and effortless way.
3. ’Tis the season to mix it up! Holiday parties are a fun time to step out of your wardrobe comfort zone. If you usually wear slacks, why not wear a dress? If your daily wardrobe leans toward Corporate Conservative or Soccer Mom Chic, it’s a great time to wear a statement necklace or a jewel tone blouse! Remember that
4. Add some subtle sparkle to your cosmetics. Sparkly cosmetics don’t have to look like something you borrowed from your tween daughter! You can transform your usual makeup routine to a party-ready look with a brush of a golden peach highlighting powder, a fun lip gloss, or a subtly glittering nail top coat. Remember to keep a light hand when applying; less really is more here!
5. Never underestimate the power of a great accessory! One striking accessory can transition an outfit from blah to beautiful. These sparkly temporary tattoos from The Prickly Pear add a fun, unexpected touch to any holiday outfit.
Here’s to a gorgeous holiday season!
Learn about Heather and see a growing compilation of HerLouisville features on our new page dedicated to the topic. We’ll focus on entertaining, style and dining with moms in mind!