Top Ten Places for Family Farm Fun near Louisville
Are you looking for farms near Louisville for family fun? There are many options for exploring farms this fall so you can enjoy the beautiful scenes of the bluegrass, learn about these farms, and take home some goodies!
10. Mulberry Orchard Shelby County has a family fun playground area: The kids will roll, run, jump, and have a great time while you enjoy great food from their kitchen. They also have a corn maze, a mini maze for little ones, hay rides, pumpkins and wonderful cider. They Mulberry Kitchen also serves up really good food.
9. Horseback Riding is a great confidence booster for kids. Learning how to control such a large animal helps build self-esteem and athleticism. If you can make a day out at farm near Louisville fun with horseback riding, it would be so memorable!
8. Apple picking is a great family activity in the fall. Our favorite spot is Hidden Hollow Orchard. Click here for more places to pick apples in the Louisville area. Apple picking typically runs August and September in our area, depending on the variety of apples.
7. Take a farm tour at Black Horse Manor. Get up close to the horses, alpacas, and llamas and hear their stories. See a working farm in action and interact with the animals. It’s a really fun day, you can book a small group tour. There’s more information about this tour opportunity on our website – click here.
6. Farmer’s Markets are a great place to take your kids, because in addition to buying tasty produce, you can also teach your kids where food comes from by introducing them to the farmers who actually make it. The St. Matthews Farmer’s Market is one of my favorites because there is everything from live music to concessions in addition to the farm fresh food. Click here to find a farmer’s market near you.
5. Thomas Dairy Farm and Market is a family farm in Cecilia, Kentucky. Their farm fun typically launches middle to end of September and they have two corn mazes, paint ball, a sunflower maze, apple cannons, and so much more. You can spend a whole day there having fun. Click here to see a drone video. It’s an easy drive down I-65 and will fill your day with fall farm fun well into the evening. They offer pumpkin picking and have an amazing corn maze but they also have a farm play area with a big slide, corn pit, jumping pillow, and more. In the evening, they’ll light some campfires and also take you on an evening hayride to get zombies hiding in the cornfield with paintball guns!
4. Foxhollow Farm is a great farm destination for anything from a farm-to-table dining experience to a gardening workshop. They also have hiking trails and a playground, you can take a picnic! They have great fall fun. Click here for more info.
3. Huber’s Farm & Winery in Starlight, IN is a year-round family fun destination. They serve wonderful meals, and there is a farm store, soda shop, ice cream shop, and play areas for the kids. There is also a winery that offers wine tastings, pick-your-own seasonal produce, and hayrides to the pumpkin patch in the fall.
2. Horse shows are plentiful in Kentucky, and there are several different varieties of horse shows from three day hunter-jumper events to the Rodeo. There are always great horse shows going on at Kentucky Horse Park. If you don’t want to travel quite so far, check out one of the local horse shows, such as the Rock Creek Horse Show.
1. Gallrein Farms in Shelbyville, Ky is a great local farm destination, with everything from a bakery to a petting zoo in addition to homegrown fruits, vegetables, and flowers. There are also horse-drawn wagon rides to the pumpkin patch, a corn maze, and a John Deere Barrel train in the fall.
Find your fun this fall, we have it all here for you.