These are the best things to do this fall for FREE fall fun with your family.
This means that there is no admission cost for the festival or event, but there might be a small parking fee or activities within the event that have a ticketed cost and also does not include things like paying for food or drinks, etc.
We love free fall fun events that allow families to go out and have fun together without worrying about spending too much money. And, a lot of these events encourage families to go explore out area and do something new. So, if you are looking for free fall fun around Louisville, here are some great options with our top 10 things to do this fall.
Have fun this fall y’all!
We are ready for some Fall Fun and Free makes it even better! Pick one or two (or more) activities to get your fall season started.
1. The Big Table – Magical things happen when we share a meal. We talk. We connect. We build community. And that’s what we intend to do at Louisville’s largest potluck. Bring your family’s favorite dish and once seated with other guests (remember…a stranger at the Big Table is just a friend you haven’t met, yet), table hosts will help your party share stories and answer fun prompts to get to know one another better. Sunday, September 10th at Iroquois Park. 5:00 – 7:00pm
2. Go to Blackacre State Nature Preserve – There are tons of photo opps with breathtaking backdrops for your fall favorite photo times with your family. Just walking along the grounds, seeing the animals up close, and even going to the feedings on Saturday mornings is fun in the cool crisp air of autumn. You can bring carrots too!
3. Nulu Festival – Food, Fun, Frolic! Nulu Fest IS BACK! Don’t miss out on the 13th Annual NULU Fest. For the 13th year NuLu is hosting it’s well-known street festival celebrating the continued growth and revitalization of Louisville’s East Market District. Come enjoy live music by sonaBLAST! Records, regional micro-brewed beers, and numerous food and retail booths by local vendors. There will be activities for all ages. The event is free, family-friendly and open to the public. September 23rd, 11am-10pm.
4. St. James Court Art Fair – 2023 marks the 67th Annual St. James Court Art Show. The St. James Court Art Show is a juried fine arts and contemporary crafts show featuring over 600 artists from around the U.S. held among the country’s largest collection of Victorian homes in the heart of historic Old Louisville. Free admission, rain or shine, October 6-8th.
5. The Parklands of Floyds Fork Turkey Run Park – The Parklands already has a great parks system with Beckley Creek Park and Pope Lick Park, but don’t miss the yellow silo at Turkey Run (the view from up high will be gorgeous) and the wonderful playground at Broad Run. Another oasis of nature trails and walking paths, this park will be a sure thing to see this autumn.
6. Middletown Family Fun Festival – Two days of food, fun, music, crafts and kids activities located in Wetherby Park area of Middletown. September 8th and September 9th.
7. Falls of the Ohio – Fall is the best time to explore the Falls of the Ohio because the views across the river and the colors in the trees are so pretty. Yes, it’s $2 to park but you can explore the fossil beds for free. Go in the interpretive center and ask for a fossil map.
If you want to get down on the fossil beds, call ahead and check the water level of the Ohio. If the river is high, they will be covered. They also host many special events and do have an optional indoor interpretive center that has been recently updated (fee for admission).
8. Gaslight Festival – Centered in the small-town ambiance of Gaslight Square, the festival has evolved into a eight-day extravaganza that has become a time-honored tradition of Jeffersontown. It is through the efforts of The Chamber that the festival now hosts a motorcycle rally, car show, golf scramble, 5K, parade, balloon glow, children’s playground, live entertainment and over 200 arts, crafts and commercial booths. The Gaslight Festival is always the 3rd weekend in September. September 10th-17th
9. Kaleidoscope Family Festival– Visit the Waterfront Botanical Gardens for a day of FREE family fun and look at the world “Through the Lens of Plants.” 10am-4pm